Calcium chloride, a salt composed of chlorine and calcium, has the chemical formula CaCl2. Slightly bitter and tasteless. It is a typical ionic halide, white, hard pieces or particles at room temperature.
Its common applications include brine used in refrigeration equipment, road ice melting agents and desiccants. Because it easily absorbs moisture in the air and deliquesces , anhydrous calcium chloride must be sealed and stored in a container.
Calcium chloride can be used as a desiccant or dehydrating agent for gases and organic liquids. But it cannot be used to dry ethanol and ammonia, because ethanol and ammonia gas will react with calcium chloride to form alcoholate CaCl2·4C2H5OH and ammoniate CaCl2·8NH3, respectively. Anhydrous calcium chloride can also be made into household products and used as an air moisture absorbent. As a water absorbent, anhydrous calcium chloride has been approved by the FDA for bandaging first aid. Its role is to ensure the dryness of the wound. Because calcium chloride is neutral, it can dry acidic or alkaline gases and organic liquids. It can also be used in the laboratory to produce small amounts of gases such as nitrogen, oxygen, hydrogen, hydrogen chloride, sulfur dioxide, carbon dioxide, nitrogen dioxide, etc. Dry these produced gases. Granular anhydrous calcium chloride is often used as a desiccant to fill the drying tube, and macroalgae (or seaweed ash) dried with calcium chloride can be used for the production of soda ash. Some household dehumidifiers use calcium chloride to absorb moisture in the air.
Snow melting agent
Used for road antifreeze, maintenance and dust control: Calcium chloride is the best road snow melting agent, antifreeze and dustproof agent, and it also has a good maintenance effect on the road surface and subgrade. Every year in Europe and America, a large amount of calcium chloride is used in this area.
For agriculture: spray wheat with a certain concentration of calcium chloride solution, and spray the fruit for long-term preservation. In addition, calcium chloride can also be used as an additive for livestock feed.
1. Used as a multi-purpose desiccant, such as drying of nitrogen, oxygen, hydrogen, hydrogen chloride, sulfur dioxide and other gases. Used as a dehydrating agent in the production of alcohols, esters, ethers and acrylic resins.
Calcium chloride aqueous solution is an important refrigerant for refrigerators and ice making. It can accelerate the hardening of concrete and increase the cold resistance of construction mortar. It is an excellent antifreeze for construction.
Used as an anti-fogging agent in ports, dust collectors on roads, and fabric fire retardants. Used as a protective and refining agent for aluminum-magnesium metallurgy. It is a precipitant for the production of lake pigments. Used for waste paper processing and deinking. It is the raw material for the production of calcium salt.
2. Chelating agent; curing agent; calcium enhancer; refrigerant for freezing; desiccant; anticaking agent; antimicrobial agent; pickling agent; tissue improver.
3. Used as a desiccant, road dust collector, antifogging agent, fabric fire retardant, food preservative and used to make calcium salt
4. Used as lubricant additive
5. Used as an analytical reagent
6. It is mainly used for the treatment of tetany, urticaria, exudative edema, intestinal and ureteric colic, magnesium poisoning, etc. caused by lowered blood calcium.
7. Used as calcium fortifier, curing agent, chelating agent and desiccant in the food industry.
8. It can increase the permeability of the bacterial cell wall.